Sunday, July 19, 2009

Keeping Faith In Hard Times


Hello,

I've been unemployed, since June 18th. I have to admit that my faith has fluctuated at times. I wonder how did this happen to me? Why did the people who harassed me for so many years get to keep their job and advance? What does God have in store for my future?

I know that in times like this I have to have faith. There are times when a person can't find anything to be grateful for other than waking up in the morning and breathing. Sometimes it's hard to feel like waking up and breathing is a blessing.

Well...I try to find things to be grateful for, and I thank God for them. Sometimes it's hard, but if you start looking for the small blessings, the big blessings start popping up themselves. For example, I can see a blessing in finding a good parking space. I see blessings in receiving an email or phone call from a long lost friend. There are also those times when an overwhelming feeling of hope passes through me, and I know that God is letting me know that everything is going to be ok. It's in this time that the following verse applies:

My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest. (Exodus 33:14)

I have been asking God for a while for rest. I always asked that it would not be in the form of a layoff, but God brought me to this path anyway. Now, I have to have faith. I know that this is the direction God wants me to go. Each day is a challenge. I have thoughts that things will never get better, but I know God is not giving me these thoughts. I take comfort in knowing that God is in control of everything.

Trust in the Lord and do good; so you will live in the land, and enjoy security. Take delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him. (Psalm 37:3-5, 7a)

Right now, I trust that God is in control. I trust that He will not only see me through this trial, but I will be a better person because of it.

God bless.

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment